Hello, December! This is the time for snowmen, holiday parties, Christmas shopping, and the hustle & bustle of the season. This is also the time for giving; but rather than giving material things, let’s focus on and challenge ourselves to give the gift of kindness. The perfect way to do this is by demonstrating random acts of kindness throughout the month. Doing one kind act a day will do more good than you can possibly imagine; not just for the recipient, but for you as well.
A quote from the 14th Dalai Lama says it perfectly:
“When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”
Lindsay and I would like to suggest 25 different “Acts of Kindness” that you can do every day leading up to Christmas, or come up with your own. Join us starting today! Be sure to share your stories with us throughout December!
- Smile at a stranger.
- Do something kind for yourself.
- Let someone ahead of you in line.
- Leave a treat for your mail carrier.
- Open the door for someone.
- Donate clothes to a shelter.
- Return lost shopping carts in the parking lot.
- Leave a loving note for your child or children.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter as a dog walker.
- Feed a stranger’s parking meter.
- Baby sit for a friend who needs a night off.
- Feed the birds.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Take donations to an animal shelter.
- Send an email to someone just to say “hi”.
- Invite friends over for dinner.
- Handwrite a note to someone special in your life.
- Wrap presents for a friend.
- Donate a Christmas gift to a child in need.
- Deliver cocoa to a friend.
- Leave cookies at a neighbor’s home.
- Leave a loving note for your partner.
- Deliver Christmas cards to an elderly home.
- Donate books to a library.
- Enjoy Family Time… no cell phones.